Saturday 5 March 2011

Angry Movie Lurker Review 28: PAUL.(3 STARS)

Have started to post my movie reviews at the weekend here on this blog rather than my other blog because having more than one blog going was killing me and I was neglecting the other one.


Got to see this yesterday and must admit it wasn't bad maybe not as good as I thought it would be (the first 10 minutes or so are weird/strange and did not bode well but it's a temporay blip), I have always liked anything Mr. Pegg and Mr.Frost have done before (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz etc...).

They play two geeks on a bit of a road trip across America in an RV starting at Comic-Con and hitting all the relevant sites like Area 51, Roswell, etc..... everythings going reasonably fine and safe until they run into Paul (voiced by Seth Rogen and I can forgive him now for The Green Hornet) our escaped alien with the men in black on his tail and a place to get to in a certain amount of time, now Paul is the star of the movie and has nearly all the great lines and answers to a lot of conspiracy theories and along with Ruth a one-eyed Creationist  (played by Kristen Wiig) who they kidnap and her beliefs are tested by Paul (I will not spoil it but very funny) and she starts cussing with some of the best cusses I've heard in ages in any movie (I've been using some of them at work).
They are now been constantly hunted by professional (Jason Bateman) and newbie men in black, Ruth's creationist dad and some rednecks (pop up now and again as a running gag that's not that funny) and there is even an appearance by Sigourney Weaver as they head to a spot that you should recognise from another famous sci-fi movie.
It's well worth a look and you will not be disappointed, loads of movie in jokes and references, the review guide is at the bottom of the blog and I wish the 28mm little grey men I painted this week looked as good as Paul.

28 comments:

  1. I didn't know this movie was out already. I was wanting to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly can't stand Simon Pegg, ever since he did Scotty in Star Trek. He's just too... silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fuuuu that alien scares the shit out of me in that pic, i have a phobia against Aliens, when i saw Signs with Mel Gibson, the part where Joaquin Phoenix is watching the TV and that the Brazilian Alien or something like that, couldnt sleep for about a week after that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Freek. I'd not naturally be in a hurry to see it because of Simon Pegg. Still, it sounds like the other areas could make up for it, and you can't really give someone too many chances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great..finally they´ve done a film about my life story :-D
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. My buddy saw a test screening of this and said he liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to see this when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wanted to see this for awhile. I love Pegg and Frost

    ReplyDelete
  9. youve alreayd seen this? i just finally saw the first commercial for this yesterday after work and i was like "FUCKING AWESOME!:" so u gave it a 3 out 3?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved nick frost and simon pegg in Shaun of the Dead so I might check this out when it comes out

    ReplyDelete
  11. Going to see this in the week...can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i wanna see it too, seth rogen's one of our few good exports

    ReplyDelete
  13. ....out of 5, guides at bottom of blog page.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the review and I've been wanting to see that.

    Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Missus & I are big fans of the Pegg and Frost films. Too silly? Come on, these guys are getting paid to Geek out, you gotta respect them for having the smarts to do that.

    Paul is the most commercial and approachable of their three films and I loved it, although Hot Fuzz will always be special for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love, love, love Simon Pegg. He's one of my favorites. Haven't seen this movie yet. Also, I really love Seth - so I'm looking forward to this film. Can't read your review yet, but as soon as I see it I'll come back and read what you wrote. I did read your review on Despicable Me, and commented.

    I liked that you post it here. Why not? It's fun to do whatever we want on our blogs. And yes, I agree, maintaining two blogs is killer.

    Hope you had a yummy day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. can't wait to see it! I loved shaun of the dead and hot fuzz!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the review. I'll wait for the dvd release...

    ReplyDelete
  19. probably not going to watch since i HATE simon pegg. dont know why, i just dont find this guy very funny

    ReplyDelete
  20. great stuff, you totally have my support!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm with thenitefalls and Kicking Rocks. I liked Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz so I'm sure I'll see this too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I definetly gonna watch this. Looks very good in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm going to see this. I hope it's good. Looks like it is.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never even heard of this movie until now, and I actually like Seth Rogen and Simon Pegg quite a bit. I'm curious to see how they work together in this film...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I might watch it just for the cussing. I could add some new curses to my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete