Thursday 29 September 2011

Angry Movie Lurker Honest Review 51: I Went Down 1997 (4 STARS).


Fresh out of prison, Git rescues a former best friend (now living with Git's girlfriend) from a beating at the hands of loan sharks. He's now in trouble with the mob boss, Tom French, who sends Git to Cork with another debtor, Bunny Kelly, to find a guy named Frank Grogan, and take him to a man with a friendly face at a shack across a bog. It's a tougher assignment than it seems: Git's a novice, Bunny's prone to rash acts, Frank doesn't want to be found (and once he's found, he has no money), and maybe Tom's planning to murder Frank, which puts Git in a moral dilemma. Then, there's the long-ago disappearance of Sonny Mulligan. What's a decent and stand-up lad to do?

This is an Irish gem from 1997 that is one of the best low budget movies I've ever seen come out of Ireland, great characters, brilliant dialogue, good action, bad language and a little love and what I always want a damn good ending, go find it and have a laugh and you'll soon be saying "No guts, no black pudding".

33 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I wonder if I can find it over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, thanks. I just found this on youtube and bookmarked it for the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a classic, i saw it in the cinema in lecester square back in 97, is it on DVD??

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a classic, i saw it in the cinema in lecester square back in 97, is it on DVD??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not actually fan of oldies :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would I need subtitles to understand this movie? Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I trust your word, therefore I will check it out over the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. never heard of this one, but I love it that it's Irish :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be watching this if it shows up on netflix. if not, then its off to the internet to go download it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never even heard of this. Glad I've been tipped off to this little gem. I'm gonna go seek it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Might check it out if I get a chance.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another one for you to loan me Fran!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh well, i guess the search begins. I have no clue where i will find it though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard about it. Sounds cool. Might give it a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. never heard of this one, but I'll check this

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds great, will have to check it out. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. four stars eh? i might watch this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Guess I'll see if Netflix has it. Nice Review. Following!

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks gangsteresques... also, those fat vikings look badass!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found it on Amazon but on VHS. I noticed that one of the comments above said it was on Youtube. I'll look for it there. As an aside, the VHS on Amazon has subtitles. Unless this is selling like hotcakes in Japan, I feel a bit insulted by that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for posting this. It looks like something I would love to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like fun. Plus, the character's name is actually "Git"? :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. gr8 blog Bdw check out my
    fashion blog n lets
    follow each other like
    twitter haha Chuchu-
    chulala.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete