Sunday 15 July 2012

Angry Lurker Honest Movie Review 79: Killer Joe 2012 (3 STARS?)


A son in debt to the local kingpin decides with his family's help to bump off his mother and his dads ex-wife for the insurance money and use local detective and killer for hire Joe Cooper to do the deed but they don't have his fee until the insurance clears, so the young daughter Dottie is used as collateral until the fee is paid, cue the weirdest, slightly unsettling strangest movie I've seen in quite a long time.......

.....did I mention the chicken drumstick fellatio scene!

Matthew McConaughey is quire brilliant as Killer Joe, menacing and "eyes that hurt" one moment and scene eating the next, the trailer park dog that barks at everyone except Joe! The collateral scene between Joe and Dottie is unsettling as is the chicken drumstick scene but this train wreck of a movie saves the best or worst for last with the ending and confusion.
I still don't know how I feel about this movie, it's dumb (the family are awful dumb and backstabbing shits), funny in places, the violence is a little over the top, the performances from the cast are great especially Gershorn (I swear the woman has a nudity clause) and Church (plays dumb well), nudity but unsettling should you be watching this nudity?

The ending still has me annoyed and unclear but I'm glad I've seen it but probably never again, Friedkin I think was pulling my chain!

19 comments:

  1. Now I'm confused, do I want to watch it myself or not? Cheers mate

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. Makes me want to see it just to try to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen it, but Friedkin has done some odd flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like quite the average movie really. Almost ironic the lead character is called Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not quite sure if I wanna see this or not?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it left you feeling confused and disturbed, a man who has seen more movies than some have had hot dinners, then possibly not one to take the good lady wife to. That said I feel I need to see it though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol Will give this a watch not heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah this sounds like on for the meh list too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I really love fried chicken I may have to watch this. Who knows, I may learn something that would be of benefit to the Hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. strange how I've never heard of this one. I think it's not my cup of tea, although some of the actors in it are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heard lots of good things about this film but I don't get to see it for another month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm. Still undecided now given your review. If you say it's an unremarkable movie, I believe you.You've never done me wrong yet. I'll wait for the TV release I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So awesome to see that you are back btw.
    Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not for me! Sound very strange. But thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am wishy washy on this too... it sounds odd and i love chicken... i don't want to love chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know, even after this review, I still don't know if I want to see it. Chicken fellatio? Kind of want to see that. 2 hours of Matthew McConaflkhasglkha? Not sure I want to see that...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never heard of this movie, but looks like worth a watch, will give it a watch, thank you Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I.. haven't even heard of this? Cool. I'll see about it maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just might need to take a gander at this flick since its probably lampooning my wife's side of the family. When your raised in a drawer as a infant and never wore shoes until your 8th birthday, it tends to make folks a bit queer later on down the road and them trailer parks are a whole other world unto themselves in most cases.

    Thanks for the heads up,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete