Sunday 17 April 2011

Angry Movie Lurker Review 34: London Boulevard (3 STARS?)

.....good day at Salute yesterday, I was bloody knackered but mostly from listening to Ray moan about his feet and back, will put some photos and bullshit up tommorow, hope the rest of your weekend is good.


"London Boulevard" is the story of a man newly released from prison who falls in love with a reclusive young movie star and finds himself in a duel with a vicious gangster.

This movie has not had great reviews and I wasn't hopeful but there's a good cast and apart from the ones stated on the poster, you get David Thewlis, Ben Chaplin, Anna Friel, Eddie Marsan etc......The action is very good when it comes, the performances are very good from most (Ray Winstone is good as always, I like Farrell anyway, Anna Friel plays his loony sister very well, Keira just plays what she is in real life).

The main story is that Farrell is just out of prison (for a violence related crime) and his mate (Chaplin, playing a very good scumbag) wants his help with a bit of debt collecting and this brings him into the world of psycho crime boss Winstone (excellently demented performance) and they try to blackmail Farrell into getting back into crime but Farrell has landed a gig protecting/looking after Knightley (lot of baggage and emotional angst and required love story) with the aid of her hanger on Thewlis (brilliant performance), there are little side stories about his sister (irritating character), a homeless man, a bent copper but a decision he doesn't follow through comes back to haunt him.

This is a grim movie with very little to be taken out of it and would have just got 3 STARS for it's entertainment value until the bleeding director turns the ending of the movie into his version of Layer Cake and should have just called the movie Layer Cake 2, really, really fucking annoyed me and I sat at the end going you bloody twat (maybe he never saw the movie but someone on the set must have). If you want a word of warning and decide to watch this movie and up until a couple of minutes from the end it was worth watching, stop watching at the end from when the a gun is dismantled and the pieces put in a drawer, if not you may be annoyed or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

As per usual the rating guide is at the end of the blog page.  

26 comments:

  1. Ray moaning? Surely that's a first?

    Anyway cheers for the review, I think I'll save my pennies and not bother watching it

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the review, i may skip this one then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds above 'arse gravy' but very close to the criteria for only 2 stars having provoked cursing with a double really, if not for the brilliant and excellent for a couple of them. So the only way to see what's annoying would be to watch it to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to watch this eventually, only because the director also wrote the screenplay for Scorcese's The Departed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll wait for it to come to Red Box for $1.00

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anything about Layer Cake, but by your annoyance at the ending, you've really got me intrigued. I usually like endings that other ppl hate. I may wanna check this out some time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I'll wait for redbox too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like movies that tend to annoy, so I'll skip lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not even heard of this one yet. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. havnt heard of it but love the actors, i may watch it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keira, playing herself in real life! Classic. bah ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a brilliant film, what do you know anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm giving this an automatic 5 stars just because of colin farrel

    and not because of his acting either
    .....or looks

    ReplyDelete
  14. TY for the review. I'll watch if nothing else is on.

    Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really do hate when this things happen, like in the Nicholas Cage movie KNOWING what a piece of dog crap, All was well until like 40 mins in the movie where these Aliens that Vomit light start coming out of nowhere DAMN man that ruined the whole thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm afraid I have lost a lot of desire to see anything Coli-related...(also, I didn't find Layer Cake that inventive)

    Looking forward to those pics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alright thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always good to get a frank warning. It's a lively cast, but the ideas just don't seem up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. fuckin' colin farrell, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  20. first time a heard of it. I'll probably watch it because Ray Winstone is in it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol for some odd reason i see u two bitching at each other like a married couple. :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think the last Colin Ferrel movie i saw was like.. Phonebooth, lol. thanks for the review, i don't think i'll be catching this one

    ReplyDelete
  23. great review, loved layer cake, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haven't checked this one and Layer Cake. I'm just not really interested watching Farrell and Knightley in a gangster film.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never even heard of this movie, but I am a big fan of Keira Knightley (she's purdy) and Colin Farrell so I might check it out.

    ReplyDelete